Dilemma ! Amazon Echo Dot Vs Google Home : Which One Should You Buy?
Amazon wins over Google?
With launch of Amazon Echo Dot looks like Amazon has gone far ahead than Google Home from Google ! Amazon has removed all the pros from the first generation Echo with added super features plus drastically Reducing Size & Price 😀
How about privacy? Both are Always Listening !!
For both Home & Echo, the microphones are always listening still will send data over net only for the ‘Wake-up Words’, you can press a mute button to physically prevent the microphone being activated while it is turned on maintaining control over your privacy ….
The improved new Echo Dot also have an updated language processor for better voice / user command recognition assisted by the full range of Alexa-powered voice control functionality.
Simple Voice Activation, Kids can use them:
Both these Sci-Fi Bluetooth devices are having great portability and with WiFi Connectivity they can virtually answer everything ! With voice activation technology you will be virtually controlling everything without touching things … With Amazon’s attacking strategy you will be able to get all the new Amazon Dot for the price-point of only $49.99 attracting you to buy one for each room …
Compare Amazon Dot Vs Google Home Specifications Comparison
|Amazon Echo Dot||Google Home|
|Responds to voice commands||Yes
Improved speech processor
Far-field voice recognition
|Wake word||Alexa, Amazon or Echo||Okay Google or Hey Google|
|Music streaming options||Amazon Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, others||Google Play Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, others|
|Smart home partnerships||Nest, Ecobee, SmartThings, Wink, Insteon, Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue, Lifx, Big Ass Fans, IFTTT, other devices via “Skills”||Nest, Unknown third party products|
|Output to stereo system||Yes||Yes, via Chromecast|
|Synced audio playback to multiple devices||No||Yes, to any Google Cast device
you can group multiple speakers and play one song simultaneously in multiple rooms of your house
You can also connect to any external Bluetooth speakers at home. Feature enabled in March 2018 for all Google home devices
|Personal assistant highlights||Add items to calendar, make a shopping list, make a to do list, check flight status, track a package||Search Google, get a personalized daily briefing, check traffic, check your calendar, make a shopping list, check flight status, track a package|
|Other features||Order a pizza, play a game, arrange an Uber pickup. Echo has an ever-growing list of 900+ skills and counting||Cast to your TV with Chromecast, launch and control YouTube via Chromecast|
|Supported Audio Formats||HE-AAC, LC-AAC+, MP3, Vorbis, WAV (LPCM), FLAC with support for high-resolution streams|
|Wireless|| Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support – Bluetooth
|802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5Ghz) Wi-Fi for high-performance streaming|
|Speaker||Built-in speaker||High excursion speaker with 2″ driver + dual 2″ passive radiators delivers clear highs and rich bass|
|Ports & Connectors||Micro-USB port
3.5 mm Jack port
|DC power jack
Micro-USB port (for service only)
|Supported Operating Systems||compatible with Fire OS, Android, and iOS devices||Android 4.1 and higher
iOS 8.0 and higher
Mac OS X 10.9 and higher
Windows 7 and higher
|Smart home partnerships||Nest, Ecobee, SmartThings, Wink, Insteon, Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue, Lifx, Big Ass Fans, IFTTT, other devices via “skills”||Nest, SmartThings, Philips Hue, IFTTT|
|Price||Best Buy OFFER on Amazon||Get Google Home Stylist Skin .. Best Buy|
|Dimensions||Dia 3.3 x H 1.3 inches||Dia 3.79 x H 5.62 inches|
|Weight||5.7 oz||1.05 lbs|
Looking at the above comparison chart of Amazon Dot Vs Google Home, Needless to say that Amazon Echo Dot has clear winning with its price, market presence and most important is huge back-up of Amazons sell & distribution infrastructure which Google do not have [Of course Google do have Google Search Engine ! Which can supersede everything in virtual world where user can’t reach your website without Google-Search !!]
Few Questions on Amazon Dot Vs Google Home Answered by HowzBuy.com
How do Google Home compares with Amazon Dot for connecting to Existing Sound System ?
- Both can connect to your existing sound system.
- The Amazon Echo Dot — plugs into your speakers.
- Google Home, allows to control any Google Cast enabled speaker or any speaker connected to a Chromecast Audio streamer. As per latest software update released in March 2018, now all Google home speakers can be connected to any external Bluetooth speakers at home giving you multi-room audio experience.
How to control TV using Google Home or Echo Dot ?
- Google Home can control your TV with help of a Chromecast video streamer.
- As on now Google Home’s controls on Youtube, where you can pull up specific videos by name or a group of videos like “trending” or “popular.” Later Google Home will work with Netflix and Google Images [Awaited]
- Alexa does have some TV integration as well if you have a Fire TV
Can I connect Amazon Dot to my speakers ?
- Yes, you can connect Amazon Dot to your speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable to play music from Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn
Can I have a echo dot and a echo in my house?
- Yes, When you order a second Amazon Echo and activate it with your Amazon account, many of your settings from your first Echo will automatically transfer over to your new Echo device. Thanks, Amazon!
- However your Echos don’t actually work “together” with one another, you need to use different wakeup words
- Setting a timer or alarm on one Echo, it won’t sync to all of the other
- Music Can’t Be Played Over Multiple Echos at the Same Time
- Shopping & To-Do Lists Are Synced Between Echos
What is the difference between the 1st generation and 2nd Amazon Echo Dot?
- Here is detailed study on New Amazon Echo Dot 1st & 2nd Generation
- Also you may like to know the comparison between Amazon Echo Vs Echo Dot
As I get updates on both products I will keep on updating the same 🙂