As I began writing reviews of Amazon’s Top Selling Products for their Value for money, Function, Utility & Customer feedback’s, I realized that most of top sellers are Chinese products !!
Really ! I got amazed & started looking around to see that iPhone I use, the keyboard I am typing this blog-post, the laptop I am using .. not only that the chair I am sitting & the lights on sealing …. all are Chinese !! Just check maybe the things you are using are Chinese brand or manufactured in China or most parts made in China !
As I know that Apple gets things made from China through Foxconn … And I know that China produces ~80% of the world’s air-conditioners, ~70% of its mobile phones and ~60% of its shoes … Chinese are almost making half the world’s goods !!
I am not so sure on Pros & Cons of becoming so addict to Chinese products, but for sure it brings alarm to my mind ! May be one needs to review the real needs while buying things off-hand … May be we are doing more window shopping rather than what we need for … using websites like Amazon, Ebay, Walmart … May be we are doing this unknowingly … Control yourself for Needless online shopping …. No point in making America a dumping ground !! what say ?
Why are We Becoming Addict to Chinese goods ?
- Prime driver is Lowest Prices [Many products are 7~8 times cheaper]
- Chinese goods getting impressive user reviews on popular websites like Amazon
- Users feel value for money [Expectation of price Vs Function Vs Life]
- Novelty & Innovative features, especially when it comes to Electronics
- Edge over existing products in terms of delivering quality e.d. Xiomi phone picture quality is substantially gr8
What is that Chinese are doing ?
- Low-cost manufacturing
[The share of imported components in China’s total exports has fallen from a ~60% in the mid-1990s to ~35%]
- Clusters of suppliers established
- Excellent infrastructure
[Plans to build ten airports a year until 2020]
- Use of automation to increase the productivity
[Government’s new “Made in China 2025” strategy]
- Off-loading to low-income populations in South-East Asia
- Also increased consumption inside China itself due to higher spending powers & due to price-point entry from outside countries is almost impossible
- Stronger dollar and weak yen provides support to Chinese exports to USA
Some Facts & Figures of America’s Import from China [ref year 2015]
- Americans bought almost $1 out of every $5 worth of Chinese goods
- ~45% of America’s total imports by value is purchased from Asian countries
- Imported furniture, lighting and signs are among the top 10 import categories, up ~53.7% for the 5-year period since 2011
- The largest Chinese goods imported are electrical and machinery goods, furniture, toys, textiles and garments,
[ref : Ministry of Commerce figures]
- U.S. goods imports from China totaled $482 billion in 2015
- Electrical machinery ($133 billion)
- Machinery ($104 billion)
- Furniture and bedding ($28 billion)
- Toys and sports equipment ($24 billion) and Footwear ($17 billion)
- Misc others
- Processed fruit & vegetables ($1.0 billion)
- Fruit & vegetable juices ($321 million)
- Snack foods ($208 million)
- Fresh vegetables ($178 million) and spices ($159 million)
- Year 2016 [till June] (reference article)
- US export to China 51,221.2 millions of U.S. dollars
- US import from China 212,246.6 millions of U.S. dollars
Related interesting stories :
References for this blog-post :
Some of resent posts by me