Why do I need to jump start my car?
Main reason is that your car battery is weak or dead and unable to crank the engine!
May be because you left the headlights ON without the engine running. Or played the music system for hours with engine OFF.
Another reason is you have not used your car for longer period like 6 months, left as it is in snow.
Or the battery is older than 4-5 years and hence became weak to start the engine.
Or other technical reason such as weak alternator which is not able to recharge the battery while engine is running.
In that case the only way to get the car or truck running is Jump Start
Now its clear that your car is not able to start due to weak battery and you need to start it to get to the garage or once started it will recharge the battery on its own using built in Alternator.
So in that case you have to Jump Start the car.
Steps to Jump Start Your Car or Truck
- Make sure that your car is in Neutral gear & Parking brake is engaged
- Car ignition should be OFF condition
- Take out jumper cables supplied with Audew Jump Starter
- Attach the RED clip to the Positive terminal of your battery [It has “POS” or “+” on it, or it’s bigger than the negative terminal]
- Attach the BLACK clip to the negative terminal of your car battery.
The cables should look like this.
- Press the POWER button on Audew powerbank.
- Now its time to jump start the car
- Get on to the ignition and start the car.
- Remove the clamps from battery and keep Powerbank inside the car.
- Let the engine run for a few minutes.
- Once the jump start works, don’t shut off your engine! Drive around for at least 15 minutes or race the car to higher RPM to recharge your car battery.
Audew Jump Starter Hands On Review [Portable Powerbank]
Now coming to my selection and hands on trial of Audew Jump Starter which is also a Portable Powerbank.
First and foremost thing is that this jump starter has won iF International Design Award in the year 2017.
Fit and finish of this product is rich, its well built, made from an Aluminum Alloy Shell. Even the hard case provided accommodates power bank and all accessories nicely. Remember to get a photograph of how things are packaged inside the box, since later putting them back will be a challenge due to its compact nature.
- Battery remaining life indicator
- You will see 4 Blue led indicators showing charging status of power bank Lithium Ion battery.
- 4 lights = 100%, 3 lights =75%, 2 lights =50%, 1 light =25% Charge Left
- USB Output
- It has two USB output to charge your smart phone or tablets
- The ports are marked as 15V 1A and 5V 2.1A. So depending upon which phone you have select the port suitably. For me I connected my phone to both ports without thinking much, since one would charge faster than the other, that is the only difference as far as I know.
- Powerful Battery
- The Lithium Ion battery is rated 138000 mAh as compared to best smartphone battery which is rated to max ~3000 mAh
- Theoretically this power bank shall be able to recharge your mobile up to 4 times.
- iPhone 6 charging
- iPhone 6 has 1810 mAh battery hence you will be able to charge it more than 7 times !
- Jump Start capability
- As the company claims, a fully charged power bank will be able to jump start a typical car over 20 times. I tested it only once as trial, but considering the specs I think it will be able to crank your car multiple times.
- Battery Charging time
- Use the 15V wall adapter (rated 1A) provided with the equipment, which is the best and fastes way.
- If you are outdoors then you can recharge it using your 12V socket in car.
- The LEDs will keep blinking showing charge status and will turn OFF once power bank is fully charged.
- Full charging time will be around 3-4 hours.
Testing the Jump Start Capability
Even though my cars battery was not dead I decided to try Audew Jump Starter by disconnecting battery from my car.
So I first disconnected my car battery terminals and connected jump start cables to battery positive and negative terminals. Then turned power bank ON to provide power to car starter. at that time the LED indicator on jump cable adapter turned GREEN. Now I got on to the ignition and wow .. within a second I was able to crank the engine !!
Yes it worked well 🙂
This was just to test the capability of Audew Jump Starter.
Abuse Test : SAFE to use
One more thing I tried which is connecting the crocodile clips wrongly, i.e. RED to negative and BLACK to positive terminal. The built in protection worked and the adapter showed RED indication with audible beep providing me warning on wrong connection.
As I read the manual it also has got short circuit protection built inside the chip, however I did not dare to check this function 😛
For which car or truck engine size it is suitable ?
5L gas or 3L diesel engine, and can crank them up to 20 times with 13800 mAh large capacity and heavy duty clamps and cables.
All in one – Multiple functions
This power bank is portable and useful not only for Jump starting your car but also can work as smart phone charger.
- Emergency Jump Starter
- Supported with capability to handle heavy currents up to 500 Amp (Peak)
- The Heavy jumper Cables and crocodile clips that can handle high cranking current easily
- Portable Charger (Dual USB Quick Charge)
- LED Flashlight
The bright flashlight is really useful for outdoor camping activities, trekking and travel.
- S.O.S Lighting Signal for help
Best companion while you are on highways away from home, it also works at high and low temperature(-20℃ to 60℃)
- Vehicle electrical supply (appliance via Cigarette light adapter).
Audew Jump Starter is a powerful yet compact unit which is a must accessory for every car owner. It will be life saver in case of emergency. Luckily it is also designed to be used as smartphone charger, hence its obvious that you will keep it using and charged, automatically making sure its ready to help you all the time as a Jump Starter Kit.
Specially the safety features make sure that even by mistake you will not get harmed, be the wrong connection, built in safety algorithm will make sure to shut it OFF, so even a layman can use it.