How Many Of These Do You Remember?
Years before going back to the school days, when it was hardest task to keep the pencils sharpened with cheap quality pencil sharpeners!
I still remember having a collection of Pencil Sharpeners equal to the colored pencils that I had 😛
This Probably Isn’t What You See Today:
You can variety of high end sharpeners in market, however most of them are pretty expensive ones.
And This Is Exactly Why I did Some Research:
Most of the Colored Crayon Pencils that you use are expensive and often the main reason of re-ordering Pencils is consumption due to repeat sharpening !
This is what going to happen, if you land-up using a low-quality sharpener … To get sharp point you may need removal of significant amounts of outer wood housing and lead … . So it will be wise to spend some time in researching to get a best pencil sharpener 🙂 isn’t it ?
A high quality pencil sharpener will give you the sharp point that you need to complete more intricate or detailed parts of your art-work. Also it reduces the lost time & frustration of sharpening again and again due to poor point.
So coming back to Prismacolor Scholar Crayon Pencil Sharpener which can handles most colored pencil sets without an issue forming very sharp points, especially on harder leads.
Key Features of Prismacolor Scholar Pencil Sharpener:
- Translucent Body to See When It’s Full
Thanks to the pencil sharpener’s translucent green body, it’s easy to see when the sharpener is full and needs to be emptied.
- Steel Blades for Sharpening Pencils
This manual pencil sharpener makes it easy to keep your Crayon Pencils sharp and ready to use. This high quality pencil sharpener is fitted with steel blades designed to easily sharpen your pencils to just the right point.
- Ergonomic Grip – Shape & Size that allows you to hold
The first thing that you do during pencil sharpening is to hold the Sharpener and the Pencil. Prismacolor Sharpener is not tiny as most of the sharpeners are, its big enough to grip comfortably by hand.
- Long neck to grip Pencil Body
Second to the Ergo-Grip, you need to hold the Pencil parallel to the turn axis, the Prismacolor Sharpener provides sufficient guide to the body, which makes your job easy by sharpening without tilting the axis.
- Prevents Hands becoming Colored with Lid-ends & Powder
The sharpener is designed in such a way to collect the wood and core shavings. They stay inside the container, ensuring that you don’t get colored grit on your hands, which often gets transferred on to your drawings 🙁
You can empty the lid after everything is done.
How to sharpen Prismacolor Pencils without breaking?
- Reasons of breaking lids:
- A dull pencil sharpener
- Holding Pencil at wrong angle
- Applying pressure on Pencil
- Dropping the Pencils make the inner Lid break
- How to sharpen pencils without breaking?
- Use high quality pencil sharpener like Prismacolor Scholar Pencil Sharpener
- This Sharpener is good to get grip due to its size & shape, so hold it properly in hands
- Make sure that the Pencil is parallel to the turn axis, i.e. hold parallel to the sharpening blade cutting edge axis.
- Coming to putting some pressure onto the Pencil, I suggest to use a gentle touch to press the pencil against the blade [Apply Low pressure]
- As you know major cause of breaking the lead is dropping the Pencil on hard surfaces like floor, table, ground. If you know you have dropped the Pencil, whatever you do, results will be broken lead.
When it gets hit by hard surface, the soft lead inside wooden body gets micro-cracks, which gets open during sharpening process.
Only advantage using Prismacolor Scholar Pencil Sharpener is the Blade sharpness will resist breaking the core of the pencil
- Warning !
If you know that you have dropped the Pencil on hard surface, then no mater which sharpener you use and which method you adopt, result will always be shattered lead!
So remember beyond a point, its not the Sharpener but the drop will cause broken leads!
Prismacolor Pencil Sharpener How to Open?
Yes, I know the Sharpener is such designed that sometimes it becomes difficult to open its lid / cap.
Don’t try to twist or pull the cap.
Simply push the Cap with thumb in upward direction (put pressure on the edge) and it will slide-up straight.
|Color||Green Receptacle with Black Casing|
|Sharpener Blade Material||Steel|
|Type||Manual pencil sharpener|
|Entry||One entry for standard-size pencils|
|Dimensions||5.5″ x 3.6″ x 1.4″|
|Manufacturer||Newell Rubbermaid Office Products|
|Customer Service|| U.S.A 1-800-346-3278
(Open Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm EST)
If you select the Standard Model
You get it at Great price and compact in size
Problems customers faced for Prismacolor Scholar Pencil Sharpener
- Too aggressive and cutting off too much outer wood [Results in a weakened lead tip]
- Lead breaks off [I think this is rather shipping or handling of pencils rather than the sharpener]