Fitbit Ionic – Review
Fitbit has added impressive new fitbit wearable to its range called as FitBit Ionic … and mind it’s the most expensive wearable launched by Fitbit so far.
Question is that is this best fitbit smartwatch ever launched ?
Ionic has come-up as an alternative to Apple Watch 2 and Android Wear.
Although the new Apple Watch 3, also has the same LTE connectivity feature as the Fitbit Ionic, still Ionic remains a serious contender to be the smartwatch market.
Fitbit Ionic – What’s New ?
Claimed as “the most advanced timepiece” by Fitbit
Fully power packed with features such as
- Fitness guidance,
- Health insights,
- Music storage,
- Built-in GPS,
- Heart Rate Sensor,
- Multi-Day Battery,
- Popular apps.
Design and display
- Aerospace grade Aluminium build and lighter than most smartwatches, which makes it comfortable to wear throughout the day
- Either plastic or leather bands that are easy to swap out
- Is my fitbit Waterproof ? Yes, up to 50M
Making it possible to wear even while shower or swimming
- Touch Display: with Gorilla Glass
Features a touchscreen, simply swipe and cycle through the apps.
Touchscreen felt slightly slow during swipes!
- Gestures Control
Swipe up : Reveals notifications
Swipe down : Music controls
Swipe right : Shortcut to limited settings
Swipe left : View installed apps
- Rearranging app icons
Simply long-press on the icon and then drag it to your preferred location.
Left button :
Short press = back button,
Long press = launches Fitbit Pay
Top-right button :
Short press = launches the first app in your app dock
Long press = open music playback controls.
Bottom-right button :
Short press = quick access to the third app in your app dock
Long press = reveals your notifications.
Both the leather and plastic strap options are available, leather strap has much richer look.
- Display decoration:
The logo placed at the bottom of screen looks little bit cheap, it could have been made much more attractive without spending some money !
- Display Resolution:
IT has LCD screen with pixel resolution of 384 x 250,
Brightness of 1000 nits (same as the Apple Watch 2) allowing you to view it even in bright sunlight when out on a run.
Obviously it carried forward all the standard features that all fitbits have, apart from it it has upgraded elements too.
- A heart rate tracker, with all new algorithms
- GPS :
Improved antenna bands which are placed in optimal positions to ensure a better GPS connection
Suppose you come across traffic lights and pause your workout, the watch will automatically pause, then restart when you begin exercising again.
- Fitbit Coach:
Includes tailored workouts pointing exactly what to do, and as you complete tasks, Fitbit Coach will work out whether you need something easier or harder next time. Fantastic system for those who don’t have time to goto a real coach but still want to improve upon.
- SpO2 sensor: Will be available later
Monitors blood oxygen levels (like in the Samsung Galaxy S8) – the feature isn’t enabled at launch
- Have diabetes?
You can pair the watch with a Dexcom G5 Mobile sensor to monitor your glucose levels during cycling, swimming, weights, running etc.
Performance and fitbit battery life
- Battery life:
Five days with single FULL charge
and will last for 10 hours if you use it with GPS running in the background.
Slightly sluggish response in terms of getting menu loads, not so good during exercise.
- Music with you during exercise 🙂
2.5 GB storage space is more than sufficient to store around 300 songs ! Wow !!
Listen them on your headphones during running or exercise, and no need to carry your phone now.It could have been great if Fitbit would have integrated most popular streaming services, such as Spotify or Apple Music! Anyway !!How to Sync Music on Fitbit Ionic? ???
Option 1 :
Sign up for a Pandora Plus account and sync your favorite stations to the watch
Option 2 :
Install Fitbit’s PC/Mac app to manually sync music to the Ionic.How to pair my phone?
open the Settings on the watch, scroll down to select Bluetooth > New Device
Search and add your earbuds, start listening music ?
Apps and compatibility
- Like other Fitbit watched, its compatible with iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices
- Fitbit app:
Just goto the app store to get Fitbit most powerful app in market, no other smartwatch manufacturer is able to come anywhere near to the fitness App by Fitbit, contains most powerful features and guide.
Further you can choose a variety of watch faces within the Fitbit app
Fitbit Ionic can track steps, distance, and heart rate + data is synced to the Fitbit app, and you can later visualize your activity.
It also tracks Sleep stages, Resting heart rate, and Cardio fitness level
- Fitbit Pay: Feature yet not available officially as on Feb 2018
Using technology from a company called Coin, you will be able to use NFC to pay on contactless terminals with your smartwatch. NFC will work on any payment machine that supports things like Apple Pay and Android Pay
How do I update my Fitbit Ionic?
- Install the latest version of the Fitbit app on your phone or tablet.
- Open the Fitbit app
- Make sure that your fully charged fitbit ionic watch is kept near the phone.
- Tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
- If update is available, you will see Option, Tap or click the pink Update button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and keep the device close to your phone, tablet, or computer during the update.
- Approx Update time can be upto an hour or so. Sometimes the update may be slow,so please wait till its done.
- Any issues till persists, visit fitbit official help page here
Ionic calibration message
- First step is to update to Fitbit OS 2.1, note that this release includes some stability improvements and bug fixes.
- AFter the OS updat to Fitbit OS 2.1, the Ionic calibration message should disappear.
- In case still the problem persists, and the Ionic watch prompt to calibrate your Ionic, in that case, please plug your Ionic, set on flat surface and proceed with calibration.
- after you complete the calibration (green check mark) restart, your Ionic .
Verdict Fitbit Ionic
As boasted by the company as “the most advanced timepiece” by Fitbit, its BEST but not the GREATEST in market at this price-point, breaking the expectations of market.
With its extra long battery life, built-in GPS , heart rate sensor, and lastly Fitbit Pay its a good fitness tracker.
However to call it as a smartwatch, it need to be pushed to the next level.
Ionic is currently priced around the most premium Android Wear and Tizen choices, slightly below the Apple Watch 3, so we feel that better options are available in the market which offer a nicer design and better features.
If in future the prices are dropped for Ionic then surely you can go for it.
Watch Review video of Fitbit I