My wife bought a smart fitness watch for me during here trip to New York. So now instead of using my smart band, since I started using this smart watch and pretty happy with the performance. Initially I faced many issues including first setup took one full day, which was merely 1 hour job (which I understood later) .. So I thought of writing here Fitbit Versa Review for all of you. If you like it do not forget to put comments on my post.
Well, Over the years fitness wearables like smart bands and now smart watches are becoming part of day to day life like a smartphone. And being high end market, there is presence & tussle of big Brands like Fitbit vs Apple, where people are ready to spend hundreds of dollars for their health.
The preliminary market started with fitness bands which are really cheap and affordable for beginners in the fitness area, which later can be graduated to a smart watch which handles full fledged health graph
So competition always focus on smartwatches which will be better and cheaper than the Apple Watch. In this category, Samsung launched the Gear Sport and Fitbit rescently launched the Versa priced about 33% below Apple smartwatch series 3.
Fitbit Versa Review [after 3 months use]
Well I found that Versa, is a stylish, attractive & best looking fitness tracker assisted with fitness tracking facilities, specially I think the Female Health [NEW] facility which is a specially designed to log women periods, their symptoms or even compare the cycle against other health stats like sleep, activity and weight. Also I found it not only function-wise suitable for women but also style wise it goes well on my daughters wrist, that this week I bought the Peach/Rose Gold Aluminium model for my daughter.
It will also be worth mentioning that my smartwatch Versa runs Fitbit OS 2.0 an Operating System incorporating Pebble assets [the company that Fitbit acquired last year]
Here are two options of Fitbit versa Special Edition you may be interested in –
Quick Executive summary for you:
- Attractive, lightweight design
- Bright, vibrant display
- Variety of clock faces
- Great battery life for days
- Swimproof [water-resistant to 50 meters]
- Cheaper than Apple Watch, also better battery life than Apple watch.
- Works with iOS and Android
- No built-in GPS
- No Spotify
- Can’t respond to texts, or even read most of them.
- Battery life not as good as other Fitbit trackers
- App and Watch faces difficult to load
- Complicated process to transfer Music to watch !
- Bulky charger
- Tap-to-pay model costs slightly higher in the US
My Recommendation : Is it value for money?
[Do scroll down to Read detailed review after the executive summary]
By now I have used this smartwatch for about 3 months, and have also started wearing it during night time due to its comfortable design and extra long battery life. Its fully functional great smartwatch indeed, I loved this super fusion design of a smartwatch with my fitness tracker ! Looks stylish still simple, super lightweight. Nothing to say about the Fitbit App which is known to be the best in fitness community. In my fitbit versa review I am strongly recommending to go with this smartwatch
[and mind it .. although I am die hard Apple fan, one of the major reason for going with this smartwatch is the price and compatibility with Apple iOS as well as Android]
Also I did not go with the NFC version, since I don’t need it [so why to spend money for that?]
Within three months of use, on an average I really went with 2 charging cycles per week, which is fairly good as compared to an Apple Watch which needed daily charging ! Forget about it even the iPhone needs daily charging !!
One last point! before I conclude that it is Value for money smart watch!!
Because of its descent looks I am using it in gym as well as office too! It goes well with both the environments well, also as said its comfortable to sear in bed too. So in short I am able to use it for 24 hours as a real tracker and my companion too 🙂
Recently I bought a Screen Protector for my Versa, I am not sure if I really need the screen protector, but out of fear of scratching the screen thought of putting it. Simply searched on Amazon for the protector with more good reviews and best price and bought a pack of 6 screen protectors ! so that I can replace them as needed.
Also I recommend you to see Fitbit Versa Review Video
Now lets have a look at Fitbit Versa specs and features :
- Touchscreen : I found it really Simple, Intutive and responsive, no issues at all.
- High resolution Color LCD : Good visibility in daylight too.
- Customizable Clockfaces [I really did not use it much]
- Variety of clock faces specially designed for every occasion.
- Its quick and easy to change the clock faces, just open the Fitbit app, select the Account icon, click the versa image > Clock Faces > Pick a New Clock.
- I am over 40 now, so need spectacles for reading, however in case of Versa the Display icons are large and neatly designed, giving me ease of reading even without my spectacles.
Material of Watch and Wrist Band [Wear day and night, rough & tough]
- Lightweight slim, casual and comfortable Design
Designed with a super light aluminum geometric case, I am able to wear it during exercise as well as office hours. No issues to continue during sleep hours too.
- Band : made from a comfortable polyester, which is flexible & durable. Here I found it that the wrist band irritates me somehow, due to its sharp edges … not sure how to resolve it so changed the band itself .. the original one doe not suit me.
Main question came to my mind “is Fitbit versa Water Proof?”
Yes, fitbit versa is swim proof, you can use it during Swimming.
- Its water resistant up to 50 meters.
- You can wear it during Swimming. It Tracks laps, duration and calories burned during swim workouts.
- Tip : Do not wear Versa in a hot tub or sauna.
- Operating temperature: -4° to 140° F
- Maximum operating altitude: 28,000 feet
Recommended Read : IP Waterproof rating explained in details
What are the features of New FitBit Versa smartwatch?
- Personalized on-screen workouts
- Coaching and adaption based on your feedback.
- Connected GPS will help analyzing your runs and hikes.
- It can display your pace and distance as well as you get a map of your route in the Fitbit app.
- Even the special edition of fitbit versa does not have built in GPS ! anyway I am not that bothered about using GPS consuming the battery, log of watch for running itself is more than sufficient for me ! May be when I graduate in exercising I will go for built in GPS type of smart watch in future.
- Get apps for fitness, sports, news, travel, transit and more with a simple tap.
- On screen notifications for the call, text or calendar
- You can get push notifications from your favorite apps.
Payment plan [built-in NFC chip]
- Yes, you can use your credit and debit cards on places that accepts contact less payments.
- From your Fitbit app first add your credit or debit card to Fitbit Versa or Ionic watch. Now you are ready to use your watch to complete purchases worldwide — at any store that accepts wallet-free payments.
- Also while you use use Fitbit Pay, you’ll get rewards, points, miles etc similar to your physical card.
- Are the fitbit payment secured ?
Yes, all purchases done through Fitbit pay are being covered by your bank’s fraud protection.
Also Fitbit uses industry-standard tokenization which ensures that each transaction is private.
- List of Banks which support Fitbit Versa payments
15+ Exercise Modes
- See real-time stats on screen & get post-workout summaries
- Special modes like Run, Bike or Weights to track and analyse.
- Automatically record select exercises like running, biking and more & see them saved in the Fitbit app.
- Track steps, heart rate, distance, calories burned, floors climbed, active minutes, hourly activity & stationary time.
Sleep Tracking & Stages
- Standard package for most of the smart watches, to records your time spent in light, deep and REM sleep stages & get personalized insights to help you improve.
- Personalized reminders that remind you to stay active, get hydrated, stick to a sleep schedule and more. Again this is standard feature available to Stay on track toward your goals.
Cardio Fitness Level
- Get personalized Cardio Fitness Score for better understanding of your fitness level
Guided Breathing Sessions [Great for Yoga lovers]
- Keep watch and Finds moments of calm throughout your day with personalized breathing sessions based on your heart rate.
Female Health [NEW]
- Specially designed App to log your period, record symptoms & compare your cycle against other health stats like sleep, activity and weight.
fitbit versa Special edition vs Regular
Classic Versa includes :
- Fitbit Versa smartwatch
- Classic wristbands (both small & large)
- A Charging cable
Special edition Versa includes:
- Fitbit Versa [same as Classic package]
- Classic wristbands (both small & large) – [same as Classic package]
- A Charging cable – [same as Classic package]
- Woven wristbands (both small & large) – [Extra than Classic package]
- NFC chip for Fitbit Pay – [Extra than Classic package]
How to change band on fitbit versa
- Step 1 – Push in on the lever of your existing band
- Step 2 – Pull the band away from the Versa
- Step 3 – Slide the pin of your new band into the Versa
- Step 4 – Set the other end of the pin
How many days Fitbit Versa can store my data ?
[stores for 7 days, daily totals for past 30 days]
[Also can Store 300+ songs]
[You can download Pandora stations or Deezer playlists.]
- Stores 7 days of minute by minute detailed motion data
- Past 30 days history of Daily totals saved in this smart watch
- Heart rate data :
Picks heart rate at every 1 seconds during exercise tracking
Picks heart rate at every 5 second all other times
How do I listen to Pandora stations on my Fitbit watch?
- Use the Pandora app for Fitbit Versa
- Then download desired Pandora stations directly to your watch.
- Once you download stations, connect Bluetooth headphones or speakers to listen the music.
[Note : This feature is available for customers in the United States as on June 2018]
Note that you need a paid subscription to Pandora and a Wi-Fi connection to download stations.
For information about how to download personal music and audio files with the Music app
Which Sensors Fitbit Versa uses ?
- 3-axis accelerometer
- 3-axis gyroscope
- Optical heart rate monitor [ Get information on Fitbit Versa Heart Rate Accuracy here ]
- Ambient light sensor
- SpO2 sensor
- NFC (in special editions)
- WiFi antenna (802.11 b/g/n)
- Vibration motor
- Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
What is Battery life of Fitbit Versa ? [4 days operation capacity]
- Battery : Lithium-polymer
- Battery charging time (0-100%): 2 hours
fitbit versa battery drain
Users have received the smart watch and reported some issues of battery drain in new fitbit versa
Read about fitbit versa battery drain here
Can I synchronize my Fitbit Versa over WiFi ?
No it can’t use WiFi directly.
However you can synchronize your Fitbit Versa using Bluetooth.
It can synchronize automatically over Bluetooth with your computer as well as 200+ leading iOS, Android & Windows devices which are compatible to Bluetooth LE.
We suggest checking compatibility of your smartphone with Fitbit Versa before buying it.
How do I synchronize by Fitbit Versa with my Computer?
- You need to have active internet connection.
- Also your computer shall have Bluetooth LE compatibility.
- In case you have Windows 10 on your computer, then it will not have Bluetooth LE compatibility. In that case you need a wireless sync dongle for your computer.
Can I synchronize Fitbit Versa with my iPhone ?
- Yes, if can synchronize with iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later
- Android 4.3 and later and Windows 10 devices.
- Syncs with Mac OS X 10.6 and up.
Can you answer calls on fitbit versa ?
- You can only Answer / Reject phone calls ONLY if you’re using iOS.
- You can not make phone calls from the watch ! [think if pebble is better in this regards ?]
How about Music control from my Fitbit Versa Smart watch ?
- You can control the Music via Bluetooth Classic on Android and Windows devices.
- And Music control via Bluetooth LE on iOS devices.
How to turn off fitbit versa [unresolved as on June 2018]
- On your watch, open the Settings app > About > Shutdown > confirm the shutdown.
- To turn your watch back on, press any button.
- I bought this watch and till today I am unable to find how to shut it down !
How to restart fitbit versa / Factory reset fitbit versa
To restart your fitbit watch :
- Press and hold the back and bottom buttons for about 10 seconds until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen
To reset your fitbit watch :
- Go to the Bluetooth settings and remove all (not only the Versa but all) the devices there.
- Restart your phone then restart the Versa
- Now pair your Fitbit device to your phone or tablet
- If you are still unable to factory reset your watch,
goto Fitbit helpline article on how to setup fitbit versa here
fitbit versa not charging “not enough power at the source”
- First and foremost thing that you need to do is check the contacts on the tracker or charging cable, if there is dust or dirt deposition due to handling etc, then simply clean them. Read an article on How do I clean my Fitbit device?
- If still the problem persists, then try using different wall charger (do not use Laptop or low power source) The USB port or outlet maybe faulty.
- Check if the tracker is aligned correctly in the charging dock.
- The tracker might be wet, dry it up fully before you put on charging dock.
- Finally if all above does not work you can try restarting your fitbit tracker.
How to transfer music to fitbit versa
- Download and install the free Fitbit desktop app on your computer.
Choose between the following options from the app store:
- On your PC : Open the Fitbit app and click the Music icon
- On your watch : Open the Music app and then tap Transfer Music.
- On your PC : When prompted, follow the on-screen instructions PC
- Choose or create the playlists you want to download to your watch, now wait for downloading, it may take time depending upon your WiFi Speed.
Can you respond to texts on fitbit versa ? Can you text on fitbit versa ?
- Yes, you can send quick replies to messages
- “quick replies” means you can first pre-program the replies, via the app. and then select messages or emojis from watch interface. However you will not be able to type the replies from watch.
fitbit not syncing – Try the following to resolve the synchronizing issue
- Check that your fitbit watch have latest App installed (be is iOS or Android, check by visiting respective app stores, refer to links given below)
- Check your iPhone, iPad or Android phone software is up to date
- Check Bluetooth setting on your iPhone or iPad or Android smart phone is on.
- If you use more than one device to sync, make sure the other device isn’t nearby. If the device is nearby, turn off Bluetooth on it
- Check if your Fitbit watch battery isn’t critically low.
- Finally also check if the firmware on your Fitbit watch is up to date (Refer to links below to get latest firmware for fitbit watch)
Why do you need to log in to fitbit with email and password each time to sync??
- This was a problem with App version 2.39+ which kept logging out, with recent fitbit update released on 22 May 2018 version 2.51, this issue stands resolved (Get fitbit update 2.51 here)
Where can I get fitbit versa firmware update ?
- Fitbit OS 2.1 to 100% of Versa users (Firmware Version: 126.96.36.199)
- Released on 11 May 2018
- Goto this link to get Versa Firmware Release – 188.8.131.52
How to delete fitbit account ?
- Goto Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click on the Account icon.
- Scroll down and select Manage Data.
- Select Delete Account and follow the on-screen instructions.
Buy Fitbit Versa Accessories
How much is the fitbit versa ?
Fitbit Versa clearly wins over an Apple Watch on size, price. The new smartwatch is priced at $200 as on June 2018.
To conclude Fitbit Versa is a full blown smartwatch, a good design at a really good price !